Today I gave Eclipse 3.4 (Ganymede) a try.
Most things worked out of the box and after I read something of "included" svn support via Subversive I also wanted to check this.
So I opened the perspective selector and hit the first bad surprise...where is the svn perspective?!? This is not what I would call "integrated subversion support".
I decided to give the "Software Updates" page a try and looked for svn stuff there. Under collaboration I found a "svn team provider"...ok, I will install this one.
Installation succeeded without any problems and the welcome page shows me a "Subversive Overview" headline...so this looks promising so far.
Again I choose the perspective selection page and this time there is a SVN perspective.
Nice, I got it running...So I created my first svn server entry and wanted to check out some sources.
And again it hit me hard and painful...this was the error:
Get repository folder children operation failed.
Selected SVN connector library is not available or cannot be loaded.
If you selected native JavaHL connector, please check if binaries are available or install and select pure Java Subversion connector from the plug-in connectors update site.
If connectors already installed then you can change the selected one at: Window->Preferences->Team->SVN->SVN Client.
I decided to check the preference page and found out that there is no connector installed at all. So where to get one...the error only tells me to download one, but not where to download it from...really nice error!
Ok, Google is your friend and so I found out that I have to add the following update site to get the connectors:
Just selected all available connectors and hit the install button...but if you think now the happy end comes in sight then you are wrong...the suffering continues...
Hmmm...I really think about doing a rm -Rf /opt/eclipse...what a mess.
Now it took really some time in Google to find the solution to this problem. There is again a update site missing...
After adding it, you will not be able to see it. You have to select "Manage sites" and then select the added update site to be displayed. When finished, I just installed everything from that site and restarted eclipse.
So again I tried to use the connector update site and this time it worked finally.
Wow...somehow really a adventure...Eclipse documentation is somehow non-existing here.
I hope to save fellow developers time by posting this solution here.